Move of sculpture "Earth Mother"
Earth Mother by Charles Truett Williams (1958) was donated by Regent and Mrs. Hugh Wolfe in 1973 to dedicate the new Art Building, built in 1972. The sculpture was placed on the hill in front of the building, and now 44 years later is being de-installed and sent to Mike Cunningham Studio for conservation, before being safely stored and returned to the new CVAD building in the fall of 2018.
Mike Cunningham is a former CVAD sculpture professor who was teaching when Earth Mother was placed in 1973.
In preparation for the start of construction, all the sculptures around the art building are being de-installed and moved to storage by Unified Fine Arts Services, a locally owned company with expertise in moving large artworks.