Fashion Design Students Awarded at FGI Scholarship Competition
On Friday, April 20th, UNT fashion design students participated in the annual Fashion Group International Scholarship Competition at the Dallas Market Center.
The keynote speaker for the event was Erin Wasson, a jewelry designer and model.
Twelve colleges/universities were represented and UNT had a total of 21 garments and accessories selected on either runway or mounted exhibition. Student designers included Ruby Aguirre, Keonna Arlequeeuw, Bryce Batchelder, Victoria Edgar, Haoyi Feng, Braylee Flaska, R'Bonney Gabriel, Marena Girgis, Courtlyn Lishka, Logan, Tyska, Tommy Lu, Asia Montague, Michael Nguyen, and Alia Sheppard. Students were presented with several awards for excellence in design.
The University of North Texas excelled once again this year receiving the following awards:
- Courtlyn Lishka - 3rd Place Women's Sportswear ($500), sponsored by Sharon Young, Inc.
- Michael Nguyen - 2nd Place Menswear ($1,000), sponsored by Fashion Group Foundation of Dallas
- Marena Girgis - 1st Place Menswear ($2,500), sponsored by Fashion Group Foundation of Dallas
- R'Bonney Gabriel - 1st Place Bridal/Evening Gown ($2,500), sponsored by Tootsies
- Asia Montague - Best of Sewing Award, Single Needle Juki DDL-5550, sponsored by City Sewing, Inc.
- R'Bonney Gabriel - Celebrity Judges' Choice Award ($2,500), sponsored by Tthe Celebrity Judges' Panel
- Asia Montague - Paris American Academy Couture Award, sponsored by The Paris American Academy
Congratulations to the award winners and everyone who participated!
Visit UNT Fashion Design Blog for the images of winning students and designs