"Unique by Nature" Submissions Due By March 23rd
The City of McKinney and McKinney Performing Arts Center is currently seeking submissions to their 7th Annual ‘Unique by Nature’ Juried Art Competition and Exhibition. This event was created to build a public and permanent art collection for the McKinney Performing Arts Center located in Historic Downtown McKinney.
Cash and purchase prizes totaling $8,500 will be distributed as follows:
- One large-scale work will be awarded a $6,000 Purchase Prize and will become part of MPAC’s permanent and public art collection. Eligible pieces must be 36″ or more in one dimension. To be considered for the Purchase Prize, artists must submit an online application. There is a $28 application fee to submit 3 works. All fees will be applied to prize pool and scholarships.
- $2,500 in prize money will be divided among 5 works of art chosen by the judges. Size restrictions apply. Artists interested in submitting work to be considered for the Cash Prize must deliver their submissions in person on Saturday, March 31. There is a $25 application fee if paid by cash/check to submit 2 works. The fee is $28 if paid by credit card. All fees will be applied to prize pool and scholarships.
- 2018 Purchase Prize submissions will be juried by a four-person panel. 10 semi-finalists will be selected in consideration for the Purchase Prize.
- Prize winners will be chosen by 2018 judges, Karl Buchberg, retired Senior Curator, MoMA, and J. Patrick Cooney, J. Patrick Cooney Fine Arts.
- ‘Unique by Nature’ is open to professional and emerging artists who are legal residents of the United States and at some point have been residents of Texas.
- Entrants must be at least 17 years of age by May 2018.
- Artists may price their work for sale during the exhibit. Sales will be handled by MPAC minus a 25% commission. All commissions collected by McKinney Performing Arts Center will be used to purchase additional art work or to fund future competitions.
- Staff and volunteers will use care in handling the work; however, we are not responsible for losses or damages. Artists may consider insuring their work based on its value.
Mar 23 Online entry submission deadline at 7 p.m. – Purchase Prize entries only
Mar 27 Notification of Finalists for Purchase Prize
Apr 3 Delivery of work
Apr 7 Awards Reception
Apr 7-28 Exhibition
Apr 13-15 Downtown McKinney’s Arts in Bloom – Spring Arts & Wine Festival
Apr 29 Retrieve work
Contact Amy Rosenthal
Director, MPAC & Main Street
City of McKinney